Sunday, June 21, 2009

Quiet

I seem to specialize in rushing. There is always so much to do - what with Moy Moy's care, the biddies, the house, the full-time job, the facebook (ha ha) - it seems I never find a moment to just sit in one place and be.

My friend Nicola told me how she had made a resolution to spend half an hour each morning reading something which made her want to stop and ponder. It could be anything at all - the point was to stop. To pause, to let somebody's thoughts sink in and then play with them in her own life. The other day we talked on the phone and she said she had been doing it successfully for some weeks now and the difference in her life was remarkable. It made me want to give it a try myself.

My jet lag is, amazingly, still continuing. By which I mean I am still getting up very early. So three mornings ago, I tried Nicola's recipe: cup of tea (in the pretty flower cup above) and a book. I chose Amazing Grace by Kathleen Norris.

Nicola was right. What a good way to begin the day. The house is quiet and the air is still and a tiny bit cool (just waiting for the furnace to really get going - by midday it will be over 105) and everything seems poised on the brink of renewal, discovery, delight - a new day: anything could happen!

I'm going to keep doing it.

1 comment:

Entropy said...

“Each human being has the eternal duty of transforming what is hard and brutal into a subtle and tender offering, what is crude into refinement, what is ugly into beauty, ignorance into knowledge, confrontation into collaboration, thereby rediscovering the child’s dream of a creative reality incessantly renewed by death, the servant of life, and by life the servant of love”.

-Yehudi Menuhin